DIY fashion – Style. It’s a competitive game. And also if the likes of Style’s Anna Wintour are anything to go by, it can be extremely daunting for those simply starting out as well as doing their own PR.
Yet, the shiny mags are inevitably where we wish to be seen.
So how do you get fashion editors to pay attention to your label if you’re not the owner of a recognized brand like Sass and also Bide or Ksubi?
Editor of Australia’s Store Till You Go down publication, Justine Cullen says “do your research study and believe artistically”.
And also if you’re pitching her a tale …?
” Please ensure it’s not [a story] that ran in the publication the month previously, that you clearly haven’t read. Cringe. As well as target it. Seems basic however I’m constantly deleting pitches sent for ‘your food as well as wellness web pages’. Which we do not have,” she claims.
Do It Yourself Public Relations master, Amanda Fox of Dames as well as Divas claims being environment-friendly, restricted edition and also one-of-a-kind, handcrafted from classic silk bathrobes assisted her shoes stand apart as well as obtain showcased in the media.
” Their brilliant, bold colours certainly stand out which are reinforced with tidy, clear, crisp specialist product photography,” claimed Amanda.
Melbourne based, celebrity stylist Brownish-yellow Renae concurs saying vibrant colours, hefty decorations as well as a cut no-one has seen before obtains a fashion editor’s interest. You additionally have to be persistent and proactively speak to the media.
Making key content pieces that might be a little bit crazy to use, particularly for PR objectives, along with your salable line, also assists, she stated.
And if you want to get your clothes to a celeb – simply call their stylist “9 from 10 times we’ll take a look at your look-book and item,” claims Amber.
Below are PR Master’s 10 pointers on doing your own fashion PR:
1. Obtain your timing right – fashion titles function 2 to six months beforehand, so make sure you’re pitching for the right period.
2. Check out the publications you want to obtain covered in, get to know their content and also design and also adjust your story pitch to match them.
3. Look remarkable; attract attention. This is when attention to detail counts – make your media package look as expert and also stunning as possible.
4. Tell the story behind your range/label and also discuss what makes it like no other, consist of a wonderful news release in your media set.
5. Check in with the media. Send in examples however remember to subsequent with a telephone call and your story pitch. Just send launches to one participant of staff at the very same publication.
6. Present your wares. Select a handful of celebs that you assume would be best suited to your item. Contact their publicists – look online or you can sometimes go through the publicity division of the media electrical outlet or TELEVISION network they benefit.
7. Purchase top quality, professional digital photography – the media might or might not use your pictures however it’s still important to have the best offered photographs to ‘sell’ your product. Include 3 excellent quality low res JPG’s of your strongest items.
8. Always remember the details. See to it your media kit contains all the retail and prices information along with your area, contact details and biography.
9. Love your product, use it, advertise it – take Allanah Hillside as an example – she is always advertising her brand.
10. Jump on the occasion scene as well as be seen. Never ever take too lightly the power of meeting individuals at occasions. Plus use social media sites.